Coin’s second generation device, Coin 2.0, is an EMV-Ready device incorporating NFC technology, giving consumers the ability to transact securely with both contactless and swipe payment systems. Coin 2.0 began shipping August 2015 and comes equipped with a slew of new features including:
- NFC technology that allows users to transact using EMV payment standards
- An improved dynamic stripe that improves compatibility with certain readers for swipe success
- Nickname ability for all card types
- A display that is 2x faster
- An, on average, 8% thinner device
- Simplified back-plate design for privacy
What is NFC technology?
NFC (Near Field Communication), also known as Contactless Payments, is a set of protocols that enables data transfer between devices by bringing the devices close together with a simple wave or tap. Learn more about NFC’s relationship with EMV here.